Home

  Town Supervisor

  Town Board

  Town Clerk

  Highway Department

  Town Court

  Assessor

  Historian

  Town Resources

  Forms

  Links

  Contacts

  Home  Ľ  Historian

Laurie Halladay, Historian (Appointed)
Office: (315) 346-1212, Ext. 4
E-mail
Term: 1 year, 1/1/17 - 12/31/17

Nick Maltalbano, Deputy Historian

Historianís Office is located at 9882 State Route 126, Beaver Falls, NY.
Office Hours: Wednesday 9:30am-Noon, or by appointment.


On April 5, 1841 the town of Croghan was formed from Watson and Diana. A part of Croghan and Watson was taken to form the town of New Bremen on March 31, 1848, which caused a reduction in the size of the town of Croghan.

Colonel George CroghanCroghan was named after Colonel George Croghan (seen to the right) who was a soldier during the War of 1812. He served with distinction at the battle of Tippecanoe and the sieges at Fort Meigs and Stephenson, which are located now in the state of Ohio. Why the name Croghan was used is not known other than his military accomplishments were recognized during William Henry Harrisonís presidential campaign in 1840.

The rich, fertile soil, water and forests lured people mainly from France, Germany, and Switzerland to settle the area. The religion of settlers was predominantly Catholic and Protestant.

The first settlements were Belfort, the oldest settlement in the town; French Settlement, which later became known as the Village of Croghan, incorporated in the spring of 1906; Rohrís Mills, which later became known as the hamlet of Beaver Falls; Bentís Settlement, which is now known as the hamlet of Indian River; Naumburg, which also was known as Prussian Settlement and Jordon or Jerden Falls, which is a ghost town.

As times change, so does the type of business. Tanneries, blacksmith shops, cheese factories, gristmills, hotels and saloons, sawmills, paper mills were in abundance. Today there are several small businesses, education, local government, power houses along the Beaver River and mom and pop operations. The Croghan Meat Market, which was formed in 1888, is still going strong. Croghan bologna is known throughout the United States, if not the world. Three other businesses seen throughout the town are logging, farming and producing maple syrup.

The agrarian backbone of the town has made for hearty, self-sufficient residents. Itís the people that made the town. Some of the names associated with town of Croghan are Jean Baptiste Bruet, Marie Anne Liendecker (Lyndaker) Bruet, Basselin, Lewis, Rice, English, Lehman, Zehr, Strife, Nortz, Tanzer, Spencer, Farney, Steiner, Marilley, Henry, Nuspliger, Virkler, Marilley, Haller, McElhearn, Schorge, Monnat, Chartrand, Schantz, Bachman, Turck, VerSchneider, Bush, Grunert, Tiss, Putnam, Lallier, LeFevere, Jones, Hoppel, ...the history continues.


Croghan office in the 1950s; The old wooden barn.

Newsletter:  January - June, 2017 [DOWNLOAD]

ARCHIVE

Newsletter:  July - December, 2016 [DOWNLOAD]
Newsletter
:  January - June, 2016 [
DOWNLOAD]
Newsletter
:  July - December, 2015 [
DOWNLOAD]

Newsletter
:  January - June, 2015 [
DOWNLOAD]
Newsletter
:  July - December, 2014 [
DOWNLOAD]
Newsletter
:  January - June, 2014 [
DOWNLOAD]
Newsletter
:  July - December, 2013 [
DOWNLOAD]
Newsletter
:  January - June, 2013 [
DOWNLOAD]
Newsletter
:  July - December, 2012 [
DOWNLOAD]
Newsletter
:  January - June, 2012 [
DOWNLOAD]
Newsletter
:  July - December, 2011 [
DOWNLOAD]
Newsletter
:  January - June, 2011 [
DOWNLOAD]
Newsletter
:  July - December, 2010 [
DOWNLOAD]
Newsletter
:  January - June, 2010 [
DOWNLOAD]
Newsletter
:  July - December, 2009 [
DOWNLOAD]
Newsletter:  January - June, 2009 [
DOWNLOAD]

[Back Home]





Copyright © 2009-2017 Town of Croghan. All rights reserved.